Navigating Sudden Life Changes
At Ancora, we recognize that life transitions can be wonderful, challenging, and sometimes terrifying all at the same time. Our lives are constantly changing and managing those changes can get overwhelming.
- The joy of a family addition may challenge us in ways we never imagined.
- Beginnings and endings of relationships may be full of mixed emotions as we navigate our needs and the needs of others.
- Changes in employment status can be financially and personally stressful as well as wonderful opportunities to imagine a new future for oneself.
- A diagnosis may offer new understanding while also raising multiple questions about one’s future.
- Natural disasters or unsettling news can both bring us together and divide us, increasing our anxiety.
- The death of a loved one may be experienced as a profound loss as well as a relief depending on the circumstances.
Some naturally cope with transitions – even welcome them – experiencing little distress while others struggle to manage. But even those who welcome change may find that they are stretched thin when too many changes come close together or there are unexpected emotions to a life event.
Much of getting through life transitions has to do with knowing yourself, identifying your needs, and coming up with a plan to ensure you take the time to get your needs met in the midst of your situation. Sometimes something as simple as a breathing exercise or a tidy corner can provide a moment of respite from our stress, especially when practiced regularly. At other times, transitions may feel overwhelming. You may have a lack of energy, find it difficult to concentrate, or feel like things are out of control.
You may be anxious or worried or find that you are easily irritated. These are all natural responses to life stressors but can interfere with our ability to be our best selves. If you find that you are in transition and need support, we would welcome the opportunity to meet with you. We will work with you to identify your needs in this moment of change and determine how best to incorporate them. We will listen to your grief, your anger, your fear and hold those emotions in a safe space where they can be experienced and processed.
Ancora’s therapists are compassionate, supportive, and non-judgemental, meeting you where you are in your process and empowering you, motivating you, or giving you the space to just ‘be’ as you experience life transitions. We look forward to meeting you!